Subject: Screen print

Screen print

From: Heather Hendry <heather_hendry>
Date: Saturday, January 26, 2002
Martin Strebel <rest [at] atelierstrebel__ch> writes

>... There is a crease with a wrinkle of about 30 mm
>... The support of the print is
>a two ply cardboard with a white finishing layer on both sides,
>presumably chalk or kaolin with adhesive.

I have found an effective way of removing stubborn local creases is
to humidify the area locally with a fine-nozzled ultrasonic
humidifier, urging the crease apart as the paper relaxes, and then
immediately weight the area under a piece of warm blotter or
matboard.  A fine teflon burnisher may be helpful in reforming the
paper shape, provided you can avoid changing the gloss of the
paper.  This process generally needs to be repeated several times.

This technique usually causes some overall distortions in the piece
which will then need an overall humidification and flattening.  It
sounds like that may not be possible on this support, so I would
heavily weight every inch of the  except for the part you are
working on; this will minimize the overall distortions.  Even so,
you may be trading a tight localized crease for a gentle overall
undulation.

Heather Hendry
Assistant Paper Conservator
Yale Centre for British Art