Subject: Screen print

Screen print

From: Martin Strebel <rest>
Date: Friday, January 25, 2002
Today I got an answer on my question (Conservation DistList
Instance: 15:52 Thursday, January 24, 2002, Subject: Crease in silk)
Unfortunately I realized only while reading this answer that I
mistakenly spoke of a silk print instead of a silkscreen print which
in my case is printed on paper. The colleague who answered my
question thought that it is a piece of silk fabric because of my
mistake in describing the object.

The following is the corrected query:

I have a silk screen print on paper measuring about 65 by 40 mm. The
image consists mainly of two monochrome rectangles measuring about
320 by 175 mm each. There is a crease with a wrinkle of about 30 mm
in the orange coloured rectangle. This crease must be the result of
an object which has fallen on the print. The support of the print is
a two ply cardboard with a white finishing layer on both sides,
presumably chalk or kaolin with adhesive. The print is a piece of
concrete art from Willy Muller-Brittnau, a well known contemporary
Swiss artist.

Has anyone an idea how to eliminate this kind of crease ?
Humidifying in the humidity chamber and stretching on the "karibari"
(Japanese drying board) could be an option. In order to stretch it,
I would have to glue strips of Japanese paper all around the edges.
I fear that on removing them they could lift some of the white
finishing layer. I do not think that the crease can be eliminated
completely, but  the effect could perhaps be reduced.  As you all
know the beauty of concrete prints and paintings depend very much on
a smooth, flat surface, and thus only reducing the crease might not
be satisfying.

Martin Strebel
Atelier fur Buch- und Papierrestaurierung
Bahnhofstrasse 15
5502 Hunzenschwil
+41-62-8973970
Fax: +41-62-8970046