Subject: White lead

White lead

From: Robert Mussey <rmussey>
Date: Thursday, January 17, 2002
I have a superb 18th century Boston, Massachusetts desk with
interior letterhole compartments retaining original paint with its
drying oil and white lead, Prussian blue and chalk  pigments. There
is a later, virtually identical but fairly thin overpaint with
generally similar pigmentation lying on top of this. Both layers are
relatively thin, both appear to be heavily cross-linked.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for safe, controllable removal of the
overpaint. I've tried a full range of solvent gels and mixtures.

Robert Mussey
Robert Mussey Associates, Boston, Mass.

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 23, 2002