Subject: Deterioration products

Deterioration products

From: Ian Bates <sage>
Date: Monday, January 14, 2002
Does anyone on the list have information on the effects of gas given
off by old acidic books and magazines? Is this gas likely to damage
other books in close proximity in an enclosed bookcase?

A few old books in our store and many of our 50 year old magazines
have brittle, browned paper and are emitting a disagreeable smell
which I associate with a gaseous emission from the paper as it
breaks down. My concern is that this might set off a chain reaction
throughout the bookcase, causing damage to otherwise fine
collectable books.

Some of the offending books are scarce and still sell quite well so
we are reluctant to take drastic action, but will isolate them from
the rest of the collection if necessary.

Ian Bates
Sage Old Books

                 Distributed: Monday, January 14, 2002