Subject: Biodegradable packing material

Biodegradable packing material

From: Alison Draper <alison.draper>
Date: Monday, January 14, 2002
Next year, the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds, UK  is intending to
send a considerable number of objects to Louisville, Kentucky for a
permanent display. The objects are to be packed in cases that are
then to be disposed of. Our preferred method of packing is using
double cases, inside which the objects are packed within layers of
rigid foamed plastic. As this will necessitate the use of a vast
amount of foam we are looking for a biodegradable alternative to the
synthetic foams. Short term use only is fine but the material must
have a cushioning function rather than just gap filling.

Alison Draper
Senior Conservation Officer
Conservation Department
Royal Armouries Museum