Subject: Deterioration of polyurethane sculptural relief panels

Deterioration of polyurethane sculptural relief panels

From: Jerry Shiner <info>
Date: Monday, January 14, 2002
Karen Potje <kpotje [at] cca__qc__ca> writes

>At the CCA we have recently acquired 14 relief panels by Jim Dine
>that were made between 1976 and 1984 to decorate the walls of a
>hotel.

I haven't seen the pieces, but I know that many artists were
experimenting with "vacuum-formed" plastics at the time it was made,
along with other commercial sign making methods. My memory of the
process is that a thin plastic sheet (usually translucent white
material) was screen printed, then oven heated and then drawn by a
small vacuum pump over a form and allowed to cool.

A signmaker might use the process with a simple form for a three
dimensional point of purchase display or illuminated sign, an artist
would use the same system in a more interesting manner. It was an
art school "thing" for a while, too. I would think that this is the
likely history of the piece. If so, it may help in determining the
plastic used and the stresses generated when it was formed.

Why doesn't someone ask Mr. Dine? I'm sure he'd be tickled pink at
your involvement and interest.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
Supplies and Solutions for Microclimate and Oxygen-free storage
toll-free phone: 800-683-4696
416-703-4696
Fax: 416-703-5991
Object and Textile Conservation Services Ltd.

                 Distributed: Monday, January 14, 2002