Subject: Zeolite

Zeolite

From: Jane C. Hammond <j2hammond>
Date: Sunday, January 13, 2002
Karin von Lerber <karin.vonlerber [at] prevart__ch> writes

>Have there been more recent tests with Zeolite coated cardboards or
>papers ("MicroChamber", "ArtCare")? I am aware of the article
>"Zeolite Molecular Traps and Their use in Preventative Conservation
>by Siegfried Rempel in WAAC Newsletter vol 18, No 1 January 1996
><URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/wn/wn18/wn18-1/wn18-106.html>.

The zeolite paper products produced by MicroChamber, according to
their product info. are not coated with zeolite but contain a
"specific activated carbon", in addition to an alkaline buffer,
within a central layer.   Bill Hollinger, Jr. of Conservation
Resources International, Inc. <criusa [at] conservationresources__com> has
authored two technical pamphlets for CRI about their MicroChamber
products and will be able to answer specific questions about
reactivity and other properties of zeolite, as well as provide the
articles just mentioned.   Both papers address the product's use in
archival housing, not smoke-related problems.

Also consider: Conservation DistList Instance 12:76, Distributed:
Friday, March 26, 1999, Message Id: cdl-12-76-001: removing smoke
volatiles from objects and structures.

I found that tenting smoke-damaged textiles for up to two weeks was
very effective in reducing the smell of the soot. The objects, after
surface-cleaning were individually wrapped with a loose covering of
unbuffered tissue.  A low tent of 1 ply MicroChamber paper was
placed above the textile and placed in a box or covered with a
supported sheet of polyethylene wrap. The smoke smell compounds were
more concentrated by the reduced space of the tent or box and
airflow was never restricted by sealing the container.

I, also, look forward to seeing more testing and nonproprietary
information made available on zeolite products before I consider
it's use for contact storage.

Jane Hammond

                 Distributed: Monday, January 14, 2002