Subject: Leather bloom

Leather bloom

From: Amy Kimball <akimball>
Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2002
We have experienced outbreaks of bloom (a crystalline deposit most
commonly found on leather books that have been treated with
potassium lactate) on books in two of our Special Collections
locations.

Does anyone know if there has been any follow-up study to Jean S.
Gottlieb's article in the Journal of the American Institute for
Conservation (vol. 22, #1, Fall 1982)?

We are experiencing recurrences on books that were cleaned 4 years
ago.  We also found bloom on cloth-bound books.  We are hoping to
find a reliable method of cleaning, as well as a preventative
solution to the problem.

Amy Kimball
Rare Books Assistant
The Milton S. Eisenhower Library