Subject: Pepper foam

Pepper foam

From: Cynthia Stow <cksy>
Date: Friday, January 11, 2002
The security department of large museum in my region has elected to
arm its guards with a pepper foam (not pepper spray) and, almost
after the fact, has asked about the safety of this stuff around
artworks.  Not having had any experience with this, I am throwing
this out to you, my colleagues.

The material is a 10% pepper foam with the "common name of F3040,
F4040, F9040" and is manufactured by Federal Laboratories in Casper,
WY.  It is comprised of capsaicinolds, propylene glycol, 2-propylene
glycol, and alkanolamide.  The concentrate is yellowish/amber and
has a medicinal odor; it is completely soluble in water.

The museum has chosen this over a pepper spray because they believe
that it would be more manageable (in terms of hitting a target) and
less likely to get incorporated into the HVAC system.  These are
obvious advantages, but there could be obvious disadvantages as
well.  What if the stuff does hit an artwork?  Does it need to be
removed immediately?  By a conservator?  Its water-solubility could
work for or against the cause, as could the amber color.

Do any of you have experience with this lind of material?  I would
appreciate any sage words to pass along to the registrar.

Cynthia Stow

                Distributed: Saturday, January 12, 2002