Subject: Database

Database

From: N.J. Bud Goldstone <budgoldstone>
Date: Tuesday, January 8, 2002
Anne Bjorke <anne.bjorke [at] nikuosl__ninaniku__no> writes

>The Norwegian Institute for Cultural Heritage Research (NIKU) and
>the Directorate for Cultural Heritage  in Norway are at present
>trying to find a suitable system for recording the condition of
>objects and decorations of historic value in churches and historic
>buildings. We would appreciate information about any relevant
>databases, forms and/or nomenclature which could possibly be used or
>found inspiration in.

The Cultural Affairs Department of Los Angeles, California uses a
simple computer-assisted system for recording and preserving
information on some 22-years of conservation information on the US
National Historic Landmark Watts Towers of Simon Rodia State
Historic Park in Los Angeles. The Towers have 17 separate sculptures
up to 100 feet tall with thousands of members in most. A commercial
PC software program, Paradox, is the basis for the system and unlike
others, that program has been kept up for the past 22 years by the
manufacturer. After a short time in the mid-1980s when I entered all
data, the data were encoded into the system by workers hired by the
city and trained by professional staff on the remote site in
South-Central Los Angeles. Mr. Jay Oren, A.I.A. Historic
Preservation Officer is the prime contact with the city. It was my
pleasure to design the system in 1986 and 1987 for the city
department.

N. J. Bud Goldstone, conservation engineer and
co-author of 'The Los Angeles Watts Towers'
Getty Conservation Institute and J.Paul Getty Museum

                Distributed: Saturday, January 12, 2002