Subject: Electron beam irradiation

Electron beam irradiation

From: Beth Richwine <richwineb>
Date: Tuesday, January 8, 2002
Eliza Gilligan <gilligane [at] sil__si__edu> writes

>... Have others encountered
>these results with irradiated mail?  Has the practice of irradiating
>mail changed any procedures?  In particular for libraries, how has
>this affected your Inter Library Loan program?

I received my first two pieces of irradiated mail last week, both
letters.  The paper was yellowed and brittle.  Our loan office
received a floppy disk in the mail that had also been irradiated and
it was deformed and useless.  I did take some pictures of it for the
record so if anyone wants me to send them a copy via e-mail I would
be happy to do it.

Beth Richwine
Objects Conservator
National Museum of American History