Subject: Bird beak

Bird beak

From: Cobus Van Breda <cvanbreda>
Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2002
Our zoology curators have recently received a bird beak found on
Macquarie Island (between Tasmania and Antarctica-very cold and
wet). The species of bird to which the beak belongs is now believed
to be extinct. The beak is small, about 1.5 cm long and appears
quite stable. At present it is being kept wrapped in cotton wool
within a small plastic jar in a domestic refrigerator. The
preservation of material of this kind is not my field and given the
significance of this object I would be interested to hear from
anyone with experience with this type of material.

                 Distributed: Thursday, January 3, 2002