Subject: Rust on meteorite

Rust on meteorite

From: Jerry Shiner <info>
Date: Wednesday, December 19, 2001
Elizabeth M. Scott <emscott [at] ismhs__org> writes

>Our Natural history collection contains a few meteorite specimens.
>These have a high iron content and rust is forming.  Are there any
>storage tips that could help to deter or stop the rust formation
>(e.g. isolation--how, humidity control--recommended level)?  Are
>there any treatments that could remove the rust?

I would recommend storage in a transparent barrier film bag (eg
Escal) with a combination oxygen and moisture scavenger (RP A type).
This should stop oxidation by removing free water and oxygen. The RP
will also scavenge some corrosive gases as well from the sealed
container.  More information on these products may be found on
<URL:http://www.keepsafe.ca>

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
Supplies and Solutions for Microclimate and Oxygen-free storage

                Distributed: Thursday, December 20, 2001