Subject: Support material for megalithic temple

Support material for megalithic temple

From: Sean P. Attard <spa100>
Date: Sunday, December 16, 2001
I am a final year student reading Architecture and Civil Engineering
at the University of Malta.  I am currently carrying out research
for my dissertation project.  The latter involves the study of
modern structural materials, to be used as flexible supports in the
local prehistoric megalithic temples.  Certain parts of these
temples have lost their original structural continuity, as a result
of which point loads occur in several areas. My study involves the
use of a flexible material which will reduce the present stresses
which are in compression, also increasing the contact area between
each block.

The technique used must be completely reversible and the materials
employed must be able to withstand maximum external temperatures of
40 degrees and high humidities, in a marine environment. The
material to be used may act as a bag to be filled with an inert
material such as sand or else with a semi-liquid/semi-solid that
will not set with time.  All materials must be stable; if leakage
occurs, no damage must be caused to the limestone megaliths or
subsoil.

Sean Paul Attard
5th year student, B.E.and A. (hons)
University of Malta