Subject: Folder stock

Folder stock

From: Susan Russick <russicks>
Date: Monday, December 17, 2001
Our search for oversize folders (Conservation DistList Instance:
15:40 Tuesday, December 4, 2001), ended somewhat disappointingly. We
were looking for 10 folders 44.5" x 74" made of heavy weight paper
(approximately 20 point/320 gsm stock).  These folders will go into
oversize flat files so the increased rigidity possible with boards
or coroplast would take up too much drawer space.

Several people contacted us suggesting that Archival Products, Metal
Edge, Light Impressions, Conservation Resources or another vendor
has in the past had a special order in which multiple institutions
get together to purchase oversize stock or where the tail end of a
bulk roll could be sold uncut to us.  Despite dozens of phone calls,
this kind of joint-purchasing seems to have occurred in some
long-gone mythic days of institutional cooperation.

We ended up ordering Stonehenge drawing paper (rag, neutral, 320
gsm, smooth) from Stephen Kinsela, Inc. Fine Art Papers in St.
Louis.  We paid close to $50 per folder (with shipping).

Although timing was a bit of an issue for these 10 folders, we will
be needing about 50 more during the next 3 years.  I would be happy
for any suggestions on how to beat the $50 price tag, and that
includes joint-purchasing.

Susan Russick
Director of Conservation Services
The Newberry Library