Subject: Pyrite in fossils

Pyrite in fossils

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Saturday, December 8, 2001
Michael Maus <m.maus [at] geo__uni-mainz__de> writes

>I have severe problems with fossils from the rheinish-slate
>mountains in Germany. The fossils are usually preserved as pyrite
>(iron-sulfide) ...
>... Because of high air-humidity the pyrite started to decay
>After the treatment I want to protect the specimens from further
>decay by impregnating them. ...
>.. are there
>better ways to conserve pyrite?

Storage in a barrier film envelope with an appropriate scavenger
(RPA) might be a solution. The RPA will reduce the oxygen and
moisture levels to extremely low levels, and will also absorb
corrosive gases. Best of all, you won't be coating the fossils in
chemicals.

More information on these products can be found at
<URL:http://www.keepsafe.ca>

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
Supplies and Solutions for Microclimate and Oxygen-free storage
toll-free phone: 800-683-4696
416-703-4696
Fax: 416-703-5991
Object and Textile Conservation Services Ltd.

                 Distributed: Monday, December 17, 2001