Subject: Window putty

Window putty

From: Detlef Klein <detlef.klein>
Date: Monday, December 10, 2001
Amanda Clydesdale <mandyc [at] aocscot__co__uk> writes

>We have a set of 200 year-old windows that are about to undergo
>refurbishment prior to re-installation. The architect has specified
>that the original hand-made glass should be removed and then
>re-instated after the woodwork has been repaired. Has anyone come
>across a safe and commercially viable way to remove said putty with
>minimal damage to the glass?

I have often successfully removed old window putty using heat--most
easily applied and controlled with a Leister hot air gun gizmo which
directs the hot air with a fine nozzle directly onto the putty,
softens it and removal is then easy with a stiff scalpel or
appropriately sized chisel.

The Leister hot air gun I use allows control of temperature from
ambient to 600 degrees Celsius and has a variable airflow control.
There are probably other manufacturers who produce something
similar, main thing is you need a fine nozzle, like a pencil so you
can keep the heat on the putty and don't risk cracking the glass, as
well as variable temperature and flow so you can adjust it to your
specific requirement.

Detlef Klein
Conservator
The Science Centre and Manawatu Museum