Subject: Glazing oversized objects

Glazing oversized objects

From: Susan Russick <russicks>
Date: Monday, December 17, 2001
I thought I'd summarize some of the responses to my oversize glazing
query (Conservation DistList Instance: 15:17 Tuesday, August 14,
2001).

During my research, I learned that acrylic's standard size is 4 x 8
feet. Up to 10 feet is not too hard to find.  Finding anything
larger than 10 feet takes luck or must be special ordered a year in
advance at enormous expense, especially for UV filtering.

Jennifer Koerner suggested poly carbonate as a cheaper and more
available alternative.  Poly carbonate sheeting is used
architecturally and is available in enormous sizes.  It is slightly
cloudier in appearance, has a softer (more easily abraded) surface,
and a higher impact strength than acrylic.  Poly carbonate contains
UV stabilizers, but not UV filters.  Poly carbonate also comes in a
fluted/corrugated sheet which is very rigid and could be used as a
backing board.

Some manufacturers/distributors of plastics are
<URL:http://www.cadillacplastic.com>, <URL:http://www.cyro.com>,
Reynolds Polymer, Total Plastics, Inc. and HP Manufacturing. Colin
Neal sent me URL for the Cyro site, which will show local
distributors. These distributors occasionally purchase oversize
stock in bulk and sometimes have a little left over. Because Chicago
is such a large city, I had several choices and could compare
prices. Unfortunately, I did not find any UV filtering sheeting over
10 feet long.

I eventually found and used a sheet of 12 foot acrylic without UV
filtering for $335 from Auburn Plastics in Chicago (a 10 minute
drive from the Newberry).  The exhibit preparation staff was happy
to do a little extra filtering on the lights for me. Thanks for all
the responses,

Susan Russick
Director of Conservation Services
The Newberry Library