Subject: Pyrite in fossils

Pyrite in fossils

From: Michael Maus <m.maus>
Date: Friday, December 7, 2001
I have severe problems with fossils from the rheinish-slate
mountains in Germany. The fossils are usually preserved as pyrite
(iron-sulfide) and the specimens I'm working on are in a very bad
condition. Because of high air-humidity the pyrite started to decay
and now there are white crusts on top of the fossils. The crusts can
be easily removed with a sandblasting device using iron powder for
blasting.

After the treatment I want to protect the specimens from further
decay by impregnating them. A German company offers a
"Pyrite-conserve for fossils" based on a Ethanolaminthioglycollat.
Does anybody have any experience with this agent? Or are there
better ways to conserve pyrite?

Michael Maus
Johannes-Gutenberg-University
Institute for Geosciences / Dept. Palaeontology
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz
Germany

                 Distributed: Friday, December 7, 2001