Subject: Deterioration of plastic

Deterioration of plastic

From: Suzanne Kitto <suzanne.kitto>
Date: Friday, December 7, 2001
We have a number of revolvers in our collection dating from 1950s
that have deteriorating plastic grips.  According to the
manufacturers the grips are Bakelite but I have never seen Bakelite
deteriorate in this manner.  The grips have in places a white bloom
which in areas has formed small white compact crystals. On some of
the grips the plastic has laminated and cracked.  All the grips are
giving out a strong unpleasant odour which can only be described as
smelling of excrement.  My feeling is that the smell maybe from a
degrading oil.  I would be grateful for any ideas on what could be
happening or if any one else has come across anything similar.

Suzanne Kitto
Conservation
Royal Armouries
Leeds, UK