Subject: Fiber optic illuminators and guides for microscopy

Fiber optic illuminators and guides for microscopy

From: Blanche Kim <bkim>
Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2001
Does anyone have a recommendation for or knowledge of different
brands of fiber optic illuminators and guides?  Our lab is looking
to purchase another one for use with our microscopes.  We would like
to purchase a different brand than our current illuminator
(Fiber-Lite Model 170-D from Dolan Jenner). It is unsatisfactory
because the attachment of the bifurcated gooseneck guide is very
loose (despite constant tightening of the screw) and the front wall
of the box where it attaches is very flimsy, preventing the guide
from holding its position precisely.  Additionally, the illuminator
lacks a holder for color filters.  I would appreciate comments from
anyone who uses a similar system. Perhaps a particular model is
sturdier, or there are lighter weight bifurcated goosenecks.

Blanche Kim
Assistant Objects Conservator
Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
Golden Gate Park SF, CA 94118