Subject: Pyrography and pokerwork

Pyrography and pokerwork

From: Susan M. Millis <susan.millis>
Date: Wednesday, November 28, 2001
I am presently reading for a BA(Hons)in Conservation and restoration
studies and am researching for a dissertation on pyrographic and
pokerwork techniques.  Although these methods have been used for
centuries on a variety of different substrates including wood,
paper, leather, velvet and glass, there appears to be an extreme
lack of knowledge of the techniques in both the museum and
conservation disciplines.  I have been a professional artist of some
standing for many years and have noticed that this type of work is
subject to extreme light degradation, especially noticeable in the
more delicately scorched areas.  I am writing to find out if anyone
has experienced research in the areas of the deterioration,
conservation, identification or preventive conservation of
pyrographic (burnt) decoration and would be grateful for any
information or advice.

Susan M. Millis
26, Doglands Farm,
Newton by Toft