Subject: Needlework on perforated paper

Needlework on perforated paper

From: Shirley Ellis <shirley.ellis>
Date: Thursday, November 29, 2001
I would like to seek advice from others who have had experience with
a wool needlework on a perforated paper substrate.  This object is
in a fairly weakened state with numerous splits in the paper, some
of which have been previously repaired with old magazine paper
strips (adhered to the reverse but are soluble in water).  This
piece also has tide lines along the upper edge (due to flood damage)
and is distorted (cockled).  The wool yarn is faded and has some
insect damage.

The advice I seek is for cleaning and mounting.  I have treated a
similar object that was in much better condition, where I repeatedly
wetted with purified water then blotted, and finally weighted
between layers of blotting paper to block.  This was relatively
successful, however given the condition of this object I am seeking
further insight from others who may have worked with this type of
material.  My background is textiles.  Is there a better way to
clean this?  Or would cleaning be ill advised?  I should also say
that I do have access to a suction table (that doesn't suck well!).

With regards to mounting this piece, I have been considering a
pressure mount, again due to its condition.  Any comments or
suggestions would be appreciated.

Shirley Ellis, MAC, CAPC
FSO/Conservator
Department of Human Ecology