Subject: Laser displays in galleries

Laser displays in galleries

From: Sarah Hillary <hillarys>
Date: Monday, December 3, 2001
Is anyone aware of any dangers to artworks caused by laser displays?
It has  been proposed that a laser display occur in a gallery full
of paintings.  The laser will be located in the foyer adjacent to
the gallery space but will project onto a black 50% theatre gauze
hanging in the entrance to the display area.  The laser is scanned
from the source rather than focused and is very directional ie can
be physically masked from the side walls.  However some of the laser
beam will pass through the gauze and hit the back wall and it is
possible that during the adjustment stage, that the beam will hit
the side walls.

Should we be concerned about the safety of the paintings and works
on paper? It is possible that we could demount the works on the far
wall which the laser will hit directly, but should we be concerned
about those items on the side?

Sarah Hillary
Principal Conservator
Auckland Art Gallery Toi O Tamaki