Subject: Press

Press

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2001
Suzanne Martin Gramly <suzanne [at] nedcc__org> writes

>We are in need of a large press--at least 4 x 6 feet--for flattening
>large paper objects here in our lab.

Producing even pressure over such a large area is tricky achieve
with rigid plates. You might look into the vacuum systems used by
cabinet makers to press and hold veneer in place when gluing large
surfaces (eg. tabletops). I once made something like this from
heavy-weight transparent plastic and used it as a very effective
vacuum frame for exposing silk screens (in my youth). Surprisingly,
a small vacuum cleaner will probably provide enough suction,
although used vacuum pumps are easily available if you need to apply
heavier pressure.

You can make such a bag with almost any plastic sheeting and some
good old duct tape. Feel free to contact me.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
toll-free phone: 800-683-4696
416-703-4696
Fax: 416-703-5991
Object and Textile Conservation Services Ltd.

                 Distributed: Tuesday, December 4, 2001