Subject: Position at Lake Assad

Position at Lake Assad

From: Emily Williams <ewilliams>
Date: Friday, November 23, 2001
I am forwarding this message to the list with the original author's
permission in case anyone could help her out or put her in contact
with someone who could.  Please respond to her directly to her
(address and email are at the bottom of the message).  She is not a
member of the list.

   "I am working presently with Princeton University on an early
    islamic site on Lake Assad, called Balis. Last year we found in
    one of the rooms of the structure we dig some wallpaintings. Now
    here comes the big question: we are on the search for a
    conservator to accompany us next June to Syria. The paintings,
    which cover the whole height of the preserved wall (c. 1m) will
    have to be removed, the Aleppo museum wants them. We have only
    exposed a small part of the whole room so far, since we didn't
    want to endanger the wallpaintings. They are on plaster, and
    maybe there are even two phases (a renovation). The plaster is
    on mudbrick and has cracked quite a bit, since the walls have
    given in slightly to pressure. So I guess this might be quite a
    challenge (or maybe not, what do I know about conservation). I
    would be so happy if you knew someone for this job. I wouldn't
    even know where to start to look."

    Susanne Wilhelm
    4371 Glenwood Rd. F2
    Decatur, GA 30032