Subject: Sampling

Sampling

From: Deborah Rohan <deborah.rohan>
Date: Thursday, November 22, 2001
Pierre-Emmanuel Nyeborg <penyeborg [at] noos__fr> writes

>I am having trouble figuring out the size of the sample we should
>examine to get an accurate view of the problems. And I also have
>problems figuring out the time needed for the examination of each
>sample. I would appreciate any suggestion, remarks or advice.

The National Preservation Office at the British Library has been
working on a comprehensive conservation survey of archives in the
U.K. They have adopted a Dutch method of sampling, I believe, which
works on the principle that sampling 400 items from any given
collection will give you a reasonable overview. If you would like to
get in touch with them, I'm sure they could tell you more. Their
address is:

    National Preservation Office
    British Library
    96 Euston Road