Subject: Wax seals

Wax seals

From: Kirsten Elliott <loopyla8>
Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2001
I am working on a printed document from England in 1786 which has a
red wax seal applied to one corner. Does anybody know what type or
nature of red pigments may have been used in wax seals around this
date? From the literature I have found it seems that it could be a
beeswax seal or a mixture of beeswax and mineral wax, is this
correct? With thanks

Kirsten Elliott
Second Year Student, MA Conservation of Fine Art,
University of Northumbria at Newcastle, England

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 20, 2001