Subject: Window films

Window films

From: Enrico Flaiani <eflai>
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2001
I would be interested in contacting people/institutions with
experience in solar protection by films placed on windows. I know
that 3M sell products (like Scotchtint) that according to them
should be able to stop a significant amount of UV and IR. These
kinds of film could have a 10 years guarantee. My questions are, of
course: if someone has tested these products; if there are problems
with the film (could it release gas when exposed to solar light?);
how long do they really last; and in general whatever could be
useful to evaluate the products (literature too).

Enrico Flaiani
Head of the Conservation Workshop
Archivio Segreto Vaticano
Vatican City