Subject: Murals

Murals

From: Nina Roth-Wells <backriver>
Date: Wednesday, November 14, 2001
I recently examined some murals in a private home which the owners
want to cover.  Both the owners and I have decided that the best
course of action would be to construct a false wall over the murals
so as not to disturb or alter their surface.  I would like to use
something light weight, thin and rigid.  Something like Gatorboard
would be ideal.  The surface would have to accept adhesives well as
the clients plan to wall paper these false walls.  I also concerned
about condensation between the false walls and the original walls.
The house is an 1810 New England farmhouse with little insulation.

Nina Roth-Wells
Restoration and Conservation of Paintings and Frames
Georgetown Maine

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 20, 2001