Subject: Student Organization for Unique and Rare Collections Everywhere (SOURCE)

Student Organization for Unique and Rare Collections Everywhere (SOURCE)

From: Laura M. Poll <lpoll>
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2001
Several M.L.I.S. students got together last year and formed SOURCE,
the Student Organization for Unique and Rare Collections Everywhere.
<URL:http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/~source/> Since that time we have
been concentrating on making connections with librarians and other
professionals in the field.

SOURCE's membership is very broad. Since we are library school
students, we are essentially interested in the topics relating to
historical artifacts in libraries: manuscripts, rare books, prints
and photographs, audio and visual materials, archives, preservation
and conservation issues, museum collections, digital libraries, and
more.

Our group has been very active organizing behind-the-scenes tours
and sponsoring talks on campus. Our listserv, "paperpeople,"
currently has nearly 80 subscribers. Please check us out--we love
suggestions and comments. We also like to receive relevant job
postings and event announcements sent to the officers for
distribution to the listserv.

By connecting with those who are already employed in the fields we
hope to get into, we feel that it is very useful to gather their
experiences in order to make our transition from student to
professional as smooth as possible.

Laura Poll
SOURCE Co-President
MLIS, expected January 2002