Subject: Substitute for Mylar Type D

Substitute for Mylar Type D

From: Randy Silverman <rsilverm>
Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2001
I recently learned from our polyester film distributor (Alameda
Company, attn., Bob O'Neill, National Sales Manager, 1260 N.
Lakeview Avenue, Anaheim, CA 92807; 800-752-7843 x271), that Alameda
Company is prepared to offer a substitute for Mylar Type D, which
DuPont stopped manufacturing in June, 2001.

According to Mr. O'Neill, the Library of Congress's Research and
Testing Office recently approved the use of Hostaphan 43SM (produced
by Mitsubishi Films), information forwarded to Alameda by Ms. Denise
Lowrie (Mitsubishi-account executive).

Accordingly, Alameda Company informs me they are happy to provide
technical information about this material upon request, and are now
ready to convert, package, and distribute Hostaphan 43SM for
conservation use.

Randy Silverman
Preservation Librarian
University of Utah Marriott Library