Subject: Canvas stamps

Canvas stamps

From: Brian McLaughlin <brian.mclaughlin>
Date: Monday, November 5, 2001
I am working on a portrait (oil on canvas) which has a
manufacturer's canvas stamp/(stencil) on the reverse. I believe the
painting to have been produced somewhere in the region of the late
18th, early 19th century in Britain. The painting also has a British
Tax stamp or Frame mark (introduced in 1786) on the reverse. The
stamp has not registered completely and the colourman's name is not
clear (if present at all), however the stamp is in the shape of an
artist's palette which is quite clear. Has anyone seen this design
in the past?

Please contact me at <brian.mclaughlin [at] scotland__gov__uk>
if you wish to be sent an image of the stamp via e-mail.

Brian Mc Laughlin
Paintings Conservator
Historic Scotland Conservation Centre-Stenhouse
3 Stenhouse Mill Lane
Edinburgh EH11 3LR
+44 131 443 5635
Fax: +44 131 455 8260