Subject: Call for papers--Rocky Mountain Medieval and Renaissance Association

Call for papers--Rocky Mountain Medieval and Renaissance Association

From: Helen Terre Blanche <alerts>
Date: Monday, October 29, 2001
The Presence of the Past: 34th Annual Meeting of the RMMRA Rocky
Mountain Medieval and Renaissance Association
RSA Affiliate
Las Vegas, United States
May 23-25, 2002

Plenary speakers:

    Wole Soyinka
    Nobel Laureate and Director
    International Institute of Modern Letters
    University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

    Terence Hawkes
    English, Cardiff University, Wales

    Diane Wolfthal
    Art History, Arizona State University

You are cordially invited to submit abstracts for session and
20-minute paper proposals either on the conference theme or on any
topic in medieval, Renaissance, or early modern studies. "The
Presence of the Past" concerns such questions as these: in what ways
are images, artifacts, texts, and institutions of the medieval and
early modern periods part of the contemporary world? What valid
parallels or narratives connect these periods to the world today?
How can we address our own historical and cultural situatedness? How
did medieval and early modern cultures themselves apprehend and
address the presence of the past?

Deadline: March 1, 2002
Submit by January 15 for early response

Please send session proposals or one-page abstracts to:

    Elspeth Whitney,
    Dept. of History
    University of Nevada, Las Vegas,
    Las Vegas NV 89154-5020