Subject: Call for papers--AIC Objects Specialty Group

Call for papers--AIC Objects Specialty Group

From: Pat Griffin <griffin>
Date: Friday, November 2, 2001
Regarding the upcoming OSG session in Miami and my previous call for
papers: my initial abstract submission deadline was Nov. 5th.  As it
turns out I must go out of town.  Please feel free to continue to
send me abstracts until Nov. 20th.

We hope to explore the following two topics in the Objects Specialty
Group Session:

    1.  The Conservator as Connoisseur, Scholar, Detective.  Through
        this topic we hope to illustrate the ways that conservators
        make important contributions to the body of information
        available towards the study of art and historic objects,
        augmenting the disciplines of art history, archaeology,
        material culture and/or museum studies.  These contributions
        can be developed through careful looking (conservation
        connoisseurship), technical study and/or treatment.

    2.  Considerations of surface and aesthetics in the Treatment of
        Outdoor Sculpture and monuments.  This topic was conceived
        both to dovetail with the theme of the general session and
        to provide a venue for presentation and discussion of
        current hands-on practices.  Some of the more interesting
        long-term discussions on the OSG-list have revolved around
        the treatment of outdoor sculpture.  Presentations can
        include treatment case studies- including identifying the
        original aesthetics, and the thought process used to develop
        the aesthetic choices made during treatment- or the
        evaluation of materials or techniques used for cleaning,
        patination, coating, and painting.

Anyone interested in developing a paper on one of these themes can
contact Patricia Griffin (OSG Program Chair) Cleveland Museum of Art
for more information.  Please send a succinct and informative
abstract of no more than 300 words by November 19, 2001 to Griffin
at the following address:

    Patricia Griffin
    Cleveland Museum of Art
    11150 East Blvd.