Subject: ICOM-CC Triennial Meeting

ICOM-CC Triennial Meeting

From: Luiz A.C. Souza <conserv>
Date: Friday, October 26, 2001
Invitation
13th Triennial Meeting of the ICOM-CC
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
September 2002
<URL:http://www.icom-cc.org/rio2002/>

Join our ICOM-CC Rio 2002 Distribution List, an open forum for all
of those interested in attending or knowing more about the event,
exchange of information, planning of extra or joint activities, etc.
Email  a blank message to icom-cc-rio2002-subscribe [at] yahoogroups__com

Welcome from David Grattan
ICOM-CC Chairman

    I would like to extend a warm welcome to all members of the
    conservation profession to attend the next meeting of the
    International Council of Museums-Committee for Conservation. The
    meeting, which is planned for Rio de Janeiro in September 2002,
    is very important for this organization. It will be the first
    occasion on which ICOM-CC has met in South America. Why is this
    significant? Conservation has been growing in stature and is
    becoming increasingly recognized as a profession in South
    America. Brazil is a country which is justifiably famous for
    energy and enthusiasm: there is much to see and even more to
    discuss.

    Meeting in Brazil will provide an unparalleled opportunity for
    ICOM-CC members to learn from one another and to see how
    conservation is developing in this fascinating country. It is
    the opportunity of a lifetime--and one that ICOM-CC felt that it
    could not afford to miss.

    Within the Rio area there are many interesting and innovative
    Museums, there are a number of Conservation laboratories to
    visit. There are some interesting approaches to conservation
    which are unique to Brazil. It is for instance very evident that
    there are fewer barriers between conservators and other members
    of the museum profession and the public than elsewhere. We can
    learn from the Brazilian experience.

    The location of the conference is in a word--fabulous. The Hotel
    Gloria is a heritage building and will a delightful environment
    for the meeting. It has extensive and convenient conference
    facilities. It is close to the centre of Rio and in walking
    distance of museums.

    I would like to encourage all members of ICOM-CC to attend this
    meeting--all the normal aspects of an ICOM-CC meeting will be
    there. I think it is clear that the meeting will attract many
    people from South America who have not previously been
    associated with ICOM-CC. I think I speak for all members of
    ICOM-CC in extending a welcome to them and in inviting them to
    participate technically in the meeting. We want to learn about
    the conservation work of South America!

    David Grattan
    Chairman, ICOM-CC

                 Distributed: Monday, October 29, 2001