Subject: Skin Deep

Skin Deep

From: David Lanning <david>
Date: Thursday, October 25, 2001
We are pleased to announce the publication of Skin Deep, vol.12 at:
<URL:http://www.hewit.com/skindeep.htm>

This year we have seen the completion of a two-year Pan-European
Craft Project BE-S2-3432--"Development of Archival Quality Leather".
The project's participants came from tanners, bookbinders and
research bodies based in the UK, Germany, Italy and Greece.  Through
this project, we believe that the definitive method has now been
developed to produce truly outstanding archival bookbinding
leathers.  The new 'recipe' and the method of tanning, allows for
the production of leather with all the 'Archival' qualities of
strength, longevity etc, but equally importantly, this new process
allows for the production of leather which is eminently 'usable' by
the bookbinder.  We are really very pleased to bring you our scaled
down version of this report, explaining the background to the
project, its results and its conclusions.

A subject very close to our hearts, is the state of Bookbinding
education. So this issue sees an emphasis on the subject with an
interesting article about the excellent North Bennet Street School,
in Boston, MA.  The London College of Printing have supplied details
of their existing and proposed courses and we are also listing
details of forthcoming short courses and workshops around the UK.

Also in this issue, Richard Smart describes his binding of 'Tales
from Ovid' by Ted Hughes

And last, but not least, there are the usual regular features:
'Product and Company News',  'Letters and Feedback'  and 'Dates for
your Diary'

A full PDF file of this edition of Skin Deep may be downloaded from
<URL:http://www.hewit.com/downloads.htm> We trust that you enjoy
reading this edition of Skin Deep,

David M. Lanning
J. Hewit and Sons Ltd.