Subject: Identifying metals

Identifying metals

From: Nancy Odegaard <odegaard>
Date: Thursday, October 25, 2001
Terrence Quinlan <quinlat [at] algonquincollege__com> writes

>I am seeking suppliers for test papers used in the identification of
>common metals. I would prefer Canadian distributors, though American
>and overseas suppliers would also be appreciated. The following test
>papers were published in Gilroy, David and Godfrey, Ian. Ed. A
>Practical Guide to the Conservation and Care of Collections Western
>Australian Museum, 1998
>
>    Antimony Test Paper
>    Cuprotesmo Test Paper
>    Dipyridyl Test Paper

There are several spot test papers related to metals identification.
However, many are not designed for use with solid materials like
objects. Some that come to mind are: Gallard-Schlesinger Industries
in NY (516-229-4000); EM Science in NJ, (800-222-0342)
<URL:http://www.emscience.com>; and the larger scientific supply
houses.

Several were tested and are described in a new book that may be of
interest.

    Nancy Odegaard, Scott Carroll, and Werner Zimmt.
    Materials Characterization Tests for Objects of Art and
    Archaeology. 2000.
    London: Archetype Books. ISBN:1873132123

It is available from Archetype Books:
<URL:http://www.archetype.co.uk> University Products:
<URL:http://www.universityproducts.com> or 800-628-1912 Cotsen
Institute of Archaeology at UCLA (publications):
<URL:http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/ioa>

Nancy Odegaard, Ph.D.
Conservator
Arizona State Museum