Subject: Fossils

Fossils

From: Olaf Pung <olaf_pung>
Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2001
Dominique Rogers <do [at] pepin__demon__co__uk> writes

>I am looking for alternatives; waiting for them I am back to the
>old cellulose nitrate that yellows, and will fail in 100 years or
>animal glues that yellow shrink and will fail in 300 years given an
>adverse environment but they stick and are easy to reverse!

An alternative to CN could be Paraloid B72.
Read:

    Koob, Stephen P.
    The use of Paraloid B72 as an adhesive; Its application for
    archaeological ceramics and other materials.
    Studies in Conservation 31 (1986),  p. 7-14.

The author fills plain aluminum tubes with B72 in acetone.

Olaf Pung
stone conservator
Berlin, Germany

                 Distributed: Monday, October 29, 2001