Subject: Lead on icons

Lead on icons

From: Ivan Bentchev <bentchev>
Date: Saturday, October 20, 2001
Kiki Kagiopoulou <kkagiopoulou [at] yahoo__com> writes

>Using Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy in order to identify the
>components of varnish on Byzantine and Russian icons, has detected
>the presence of lead. I wonder where I could find information about
>the use of lead on icons since its presence seems to alter the
>component analysis of the icon.

Lead white, alum and zinc sulphate are mentioned as siccative for
icon-varnish in the Bulgarian Hermeneias of Dicho Zograf and
Zacharij Petrovich (after 1834). Lead white as siccative  has been
first recommended by Heraclius (12th century) and by Cennini (ca.
1390): Icon Conservation in Europe, published by The Valamo Art
Conservation Institute, Frankfurt am Main 1999, pp.69,84.

Ivan Bentchev
Rheinisches Amt fur Denkmalpflege
D-Pulheim-Brauweiler

                 Distributed: Monday, October 22, 2001