Subject: Paintings on newspaper.

Paintings on newspaper.

From: Trevor Burrowes <trevoroc>
Date: Wednesday, October 17, 2001
I am a visual artist, currently doing a series of paintings on
newspaper and other extremely fragile discarded paper. I use water
based paints and very inexpensive materials such as chalk and earth
for pigment. It will be difficult to preserve these works, and their
fragility stands in the way of their being sold. I would be
grateful, in the case of newspaper especially, if someone could
advise me on very low-cost conservation methods.

I am interested in the interplay between accepting a relatively
brief lifetime for the works and the concept that very fragile
things can last unexpectedly long with proper care. Among many
things that I may not not be aware of, I'm interested in ways to
keep surfaces fairly matte while protecting them from the harmful
effects of UV, light, harmful RH levels, etc.

I am also interested in mounting them on unrefined, natural
fabric--flour bags, probably--and would like advice on adhesives and
techniques for that purpose. I would be most grateful for your
thoughts.

Trevor Burrowes

                 Distributed: Friday, October 19, 2001