Subject: Confectionery Rust

Confectionery Rust

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Wednesday, October 17, 2001
Ann Stewart <ann.stewart [at] nmgm__org> writes

>Does anyone have experience of conserving sweets?. We have a jar of
>"Mojo" chewy sweets that are about 30 years old. The curator wants
>to accession the jar, which has been used for display, it is neatly
>lined with rows of sweets and wouldn't look the same without them.

and

Jo Anne Martinez <carino [at] nmfiber__com> writes

>...  The
>student would like to clean the rust off the instruments and would
>like advice on how to do this and how to best preserve them once
>they are clean.

Both the musical instruments and candy might benefit from storage in
oxygen-free environments. If the musical instruments are all metal,
they could be stored with a combination oxygen and moisture absorber
(RP-A), otherwise, they and the "Mojo" candy would best be stored
with a moisture neutral absorber (RP-K or Ageless).

More information on oxygen-free storage is at
<URL:http://www.keepsafe.ca>

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
Microclimate and Oxygen-free storage supplies and solutions
800-683-4696
Fax: 416-703-5991

                 Distributed: Friday, October 19, 2001