Subject: Mounting large photographs

Mounting large photographs

From: Cristina Anichini <difilo>
Date: Wednesday, October 17, 2001
Angeletta Leggio <angeletta.leggio [at] ngv__vic__gov__au> writes

>We have a number of large colour photographs (approximately 125 x
>155 cm in size) which we would like to frame permanently but are
>having problems devising a method of attaching the photographs to
>the backings which would ensure that they lay perfectly flat and do
>not touch the glazing. The artist has requested an 8-ply window
>mount and a particular frame moulding which does not have much depth
>and although we have had success with other large works using strip
>mounting on all four sides we do not think this would be workable
>here.
>
>The artist usually has the photographs cold mounted to an aluminium
>backing using 'Optimount' or 'Print One' adhesive film. We would
>prefer not to go down this path, but are considering it as a
>possible option if all else fails.

Aluminum, as far as I know, wouldn't cause any chemical long-term
problem to photographs, colour or black and white;it's a good second
support for large prints, because it doesn't suffer the consequences
of moisture like cardboard, and it can be thin and light. You have
to be very careful with the adhesive; you have to use water-based
acrylic adhesive. I Know that Lascaux produce it:

    Lascaux-Restauro
    Zurichstrasse 42 - Postfach
    8306 Brutisellen
    Switzerland

Don't use adhesive films that aren't reversible (I think that
Optimount isn't it). It is possible use other type of mounting like
yours (strip on all four sides) but that won't guarantee that it
will lay perfectly flat.

Cristina Anichini
Restauro e Conservazione della Fotografia
Via Difilo 41 - 00124 Roma

                 Distributed: Friday, October 19, 2001