Subject: Fossils

Fossils

From: Sally Shelton <shelton.sally>
Date: Friday, October 19, 2001
Christine Ianna <christinei [at] qm__qld__gov__au> writes

>I have been approached by a member of our Vertebrate Fossils section
>requesting advice on alternatives to PVA for consolidating and
>adhering large fossil specimens even smaller ones for that matter.

There is peer-reviewed research being published, as well as ongoing
research being performed, on the materials used to adhere/cohere,
consolidate and coat fossils. I'd be a lot happier to see people
going to or citing an authoritative source on this specific subject.
The issues with fossils, ivory and other related materials are
significantly different from those associated with artifacts. The
best contact in this country Is Chris Collins, who ran the Cambridge
program post-graduate diploma program  in geological conservation
and is now at the American Museum of Natural History.

In particular, please check the following publication posted in .pdf
format at the Society for the Preservation of Natural History
Collections site. It summarizes most or all of these issues from a
standpoint best calculated to answer the needs of geological and
paleontological research collections: <URL:http://spnhc.org/>

    Elder, Madsen, Brown, Herbel, Collins, Whelan, Wenz, Alderson,
    and Kronthal.
    Adhesives and Consolidants in Geological and Paleontological
    Applications
    SPNHC Leaflet No. 2, Spring 1997
    Part One:  Introduction, Guide, Health and Safety, Definitions
    Part Two:  Wall chart

Sally Y. Shelton
Collections Officer
National Museum of Natural History