Subject: Mounting large photographs

Mounting large photographs

From: Angeletta Leggio <angeletta.leggio>
Date: Thursday, October 11, 2001
We have a number of large colour photographs (approximately 125 x
155 cm in size) which we would like to frame permanently but are
having problems devising a method of attaching the photographs to
the backings which would ensure that they lay perfectly flat and do
not touch the glazing. The artist has requested an 8-ply window
mount and a particular frame moulding which does not have much depth
and although we have had success with other large works using strip
mounting on all four sides we do not think this would be workable
here.

The artist usually has the photographs cold mounted to an aluminium
backing using 'Optimount' or 'Print One' adhesive film. We would
prefer not to go down this path, but are considering it as a
possible option if all else fails. Has anyone had any experience
with either the long-term effects of mounting to aluminium, or can
suggest a method of mounting the work so it lays flat. Any advice
would be most helpful,

Angeletta Leggio
Conservator of Photographs
National Gallery of Victoria