Subject: Fossils

Fossils

From: Dominique Rogers <do>
Date: Thursday, October 11, 2001
Granted, my chemistry is not up to scratch.  I should have been more
precise when I slammed PVA and the way they have been used.  I was
talking not only about the dreaded 'wood glue stronger than nails'
used in modern manufacture of furniture but it has also often
unfortunately been used to mend period furniture, I hasten to say
probably not by conservators, I hope, but also the ubiquitous
Vinamul 3552 so loved of archaeologists. Some of it was
inadvertently brushed on the top of a plaster relief, fortunately a
very small area on a very large piece. It made the area shiny and we
did not succeed in removing it with acetone or 111--dichloromethane.
Probably some other solvent might have done the trick but because
the damage was minimal we left it where it was.

By the way does anybody else has had problems with failure of B72 in
50/50 acetone/IMS?

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 16, 2001