Subject: Fossils

Fossils

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Thursday, October 11, 2001
I have to support Linda Roundhill's and Marilyn Fox's
recommendations to avoid cellulose nitrate as an adhesive. I have
used and still recommend B-72 as an adhesive and consolidant for
fossils/bones, and I recommend you make up your own AND put it in
tubes: (see Conservation Notes, No. 21, May 1996, "Using Acryloid
B-72 for the repair of archaeological ceramics", Materials
Conservation Laboratory, Texas Memorial Museum, for a recent
recipe).  B-72 is both strong enough and versatile enough to suit
almost any of the adhesive or consolidation needs for
paleontological preparators, but it has to be used properly.  In my
opinion, you should avoid the pre-mixed HMG variety, and avoid the
temptation to use toluene, xylene, or even large amounts of ethanol.
A dried adhesive film of B-72 will not fail at 32 degrees
centigrade, and proper application as an adhesive or a consolidant
will avoid adhesive failure and glossy build up of the resin.
Solvent adhesives/consolidants require a lot of practice to control
and apply properly, and even the right materials in the wrong hands
will give you an unsatisfactory result.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass