Subject: Conservation of archaeological composite object

Conservation of archaeological composite object

From: Robert Lodge <mckaylodge>
Date: Thursday, October 11, 2001
In Cons DistList 15:31, Karin Abelskamp inquired about alternative
methods not involving heating for removing chlorides from a Roman
iron/wood composite object.  This is not my field of expertise.
However, a product common in the realm of industrial protective
coatings that I have used to remove surface-reacted-surface-attached
chlorides (and sulfates) from steel prior to coating is Chlor-rid.
It bonds with the ions and rinses free with water.  No residues are
left according to independent testing.  For information on the
product, how it works, test kits, and a brief on salts contamination
go to <URL:http://www.chlor-rid.com/>.  Perhaps it will be useful for
the iron.

Robert G. Lodge
McKay Lodge Conservation Laboratory, Inc.

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 16, 2001