Subject: Lead on icons

Lead on icons

From: Kiki Kagiopoulou <kkagiopoulou>
Date: Tuesday, October 9, 2001
Using Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy in order to identify the
components of varnish on Byzantine and Russian icons, has detected
the presence of lead. I wonder where I could find information about
the use of lead on icons since its presence seems to alter the
component analysis of the icon.

A layer has been also detected under the varnish with possible
colour and gum in its structure which has been used on many icons
and keeps the icons in a very good condition. I would appreciate any
ideas concerning these findings on icons structure.

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 9, 2001