Subject: Bone

Bone

From: Mary-Lou Florian <mflorian>
Date: Tuesday, October 9, 2001
Suzanne Fitz <suzanne_fitz [at] hms__harvard__edu> writes

>We are currently surveying and identifying over 12,000 bones from a
>medical collection.  One of the priorities is to conserve some of
>the bones before packing them in storage.  Some of the skeletal
>remains are very dusty and some are very moldy.  My questions are:
>
>    1.  Once the dust is brushed off, what are some further methods
>        of cleaning bone?
>
>    2.  What are some methods of treating bone with mold?

Bones with surface mold, when they are thoroughly dry can be
vacuumed with a zone collector or conservation approved vacuum tool.
The vacuum bag should be a hepa filter. If the vacuum does not come
with a hepa filter, buy one for another vacuum and duct tape it to
the vacuum exhaust.  The tool should be keep clean by washing with
ethyl  or isopropyl alcohol.  Disposable gloves should be used when
handling the bones and a particulate mask worn.  Ideally they should
be cleaned under a fume hood . Make sure the bones with mold are
isolated and covered when ever transporting them to prevent
contamination of adjacent objects.

No further treatment is needed.

Mary-Lou Florian

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 9, 2001